Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Gosport Borough Football Club


Boro' beaten at Biggelswade

9 months ago By Jeremy Fox

Gosport produced an encouraging display in Hertfordshire but a goal in either half condemned them to another defeat.

Despite an improved display, Borough’s third away trip of the season resulted in another defeat - their sixth successive loss - and Alex Pike's men remain rooted to the bottom of the Evo-Stik Southern League.

The first half started positively for the visitors who looked to be up for the fight despite the disastrous start to the league campaign.

The wide players, Max Smith and Jamie Granger, were very creative and instrumental to all that was offensive during the opening 45 minutes. Defensively the team looked much more organised than in their last league match against Basingstoke. This was largely down to the influence of Luke King.

The returning skipper (pictured), who was playing his first league match in two years, organised the defensive structure expertly for most of the game. Where Gosport would usually falter from aerial deliveries and clearances, it was clear there was a leader, dictating the way they defended.

Tyrell Mitford had the best chance of the first half after Declan McCarthy, playing in a midfield role, put him through n goal on to see his strike bounce off the left post. But like Gosport have often been guilty of often this season, lapses in concentration saw a free kick converted by Biggleswade captain Craig Daniel just before the break.

After that late sucker punch. Biggleswade Town looked a lot stronger during the second period as quality in the final third was missing for Pikes men. Although the visitors retained and turned over possession a lot, many of the crosses and long balls came to very little and the Hertfordshire side were troubled very little in the second half. There was a real lack of confidence among the Gosport team despite the travelling supporters cranking up the atmosphere throughout the game.

Wasted crosses was very much the story of the second half and after Gosport were caught on the break and Biggleswade made the game safe with a second from Lucas Perry. The home full back scored the killer goal just as the three minutes of stoppage time were presented on the board.

Borough’s star performer of the afternoon was Declan McCarthy who looked much more comfortable as a holding midfielder and acting as a single pivot and displaying ability to receive distribute, and win back the ball for his team.

Although on the face of it another loss is very tough to take, defensively Boro' are looking a lot stronger and should be encouraged for the coming games. They now return to Privett Park for a Hampshire derby against Farnborough this Tuesday night with the need for points more urgent than ever before.

BIGGLESWADE: Gooch, Walker, Perry, Fielding, Hicks, Hoyte, Daniel, Hall (Jarvis) Bowen (Burnett), Parker & Penfold (Montgomery) . SUB NOT USED: Alban-Jones.

GOSPORT: Cafer, Saidy (Breed), King, Buse (Kimber), Medway, Sanders, Dawson, McCarthy, Mitford, Granger & Smith (Vine). SUBS NOT USED: Lis and Przspolewski.

Referee: Rob Evans
Attendance: 162.

Report: Sam Beel
Picture: Tom Phillips

Updated 07:53 - 11 Sep 2017 by Site Manager

Where next?

Seventh consecutive defeat for Gosport Four goals in 24 first half minutes ensured Boro's misery was to continue but a spirited second half fight back raised spirits.
Gosport seek to sink Supermarine in FA Cup Boro' have been drawn at home to Southern League South & West Swindon Supermarine in the next round of the famous old competition.

Which club gets your vote? Voting opens in Jewson Building Better Communities

Tue 3 Jul
Friendly 19:45
Wed 11 Jul
First team Royal Navy
Friendly 19:30

News sponsors


Club sponsors