Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Gosport Borough Football Club


Relegation worries deepen after Wealdstone defeat

1 year ago By Jeremy Fox

A performance full of fight and character was not enough as ten man Boro' slipped to 2-1 defeat at The Vale.

It all started so well. Boro' broke their four match goal drought just seven minutes in against Wealdstone and provided a gritty never-say-die performance.

But the afternoon ended in heartbreak as goals from Ricky Wellard and Arjan Tajbakhsh plus Tom Bird's dismissal conspired to condemn Alex Pike's men to yet another defeat.

This one was costly. The result combined with those elsewhere now leaves Gosport five points adrift of Vanarama National South safety with ten games remaining. Next week's game at basement club and relegation rivals Margate is now shaping up to be one of the most important Gosport have played in recent years. Nothing less than a win will do.

Aaron Dawson claimed Gosport's opener after seven minutes and the visitors proceeded to offer a similarly resilient performance to the one at Hampton and Richmond a few weeks ago - the last time they both scored and won a point.

Despite the improved display, Gordon Bartlett's Wealdstone managed to turn the game around and hold on to win - despite Boro' asking all the right questions as they tried to find a way back.

Tom Bird's dismissal didn't help with the full back being red carded for a mistimed challenge on the livewire Arjan Tajbakhsh with 20 minutes left.

Gosport handed a debut to new signing, striker Nick Bignall, who this week joined from league rivals Hungerford Town and also fielded six defenders as Alex Pike looked to stop the rot.

Nick Jordan returned in goal after the club decided to end the loan stay of Jon Miles who returned to parent club Ebbsfleet after two games. Charlie Wassmer also returned after illness.

Boro' began well, playing down the slope and into the fierce wind which blew straight down the pitch. They were ahead after seven minutes as Josh Carmichael's angled shot found it's way into Jon North's net after several deflections, with Aaron Dawson claiming the final touch.

The Stones gradually reasserted themselves on the game and after half an hour Tajbakhsh finally tested Nick Jordan.

To the delight of the passionate home support they found an equaliser shortly afterwards as Ricky Wellard’s powerful strike took a slight deflection off Charlie Wassmer to loop over his team-mate in goal. It was a cruel, unlucky blow for Boro'.

Wealdstone then turned the game on it's head as man-of-the-match, Tajbakhsh scored a deserved goal with a high quality strike. Joe White was the architect beating Wassmer, playing him in and the ex-Crawley Town player lobbed Jordan.

White tested Jordan once more as the Gosport keeper produced a decent save to keep his team in the hunt for a result. But Boro really were up against it when Bird was instantly dismissed by referee Kaye for a poor challenge on Tajbakhsh. Suddenly it had become that much harder.

Wealdstone always looked like scoring throughout the half with Wellard spurning three similar chances to increase Gosport's pain.

Danny Green also missed two good opportunities. Wellard flicked a ball over the top which Green controlled expertly only to hit his shot over the bar and another in stoppage time which he drilled wide from the edge of the area.

But Gosport always had a chance to steal a precious point. Ben Wright had their best chance deep into stoppage time when he flicked a desperate effort over the bar from a corner. Nick Jordan had also sprinted up to try and help out and returned to ironic applause from the home supporters behind his goal.

Wealdstone: North, Oshodi, Brown, Mavila, Hamblin, Godfrey, Green, Cox, White (Walker 86), Wellard, Tajbakhsh (Wright 83) Subs not used: Parker, Koroma, McGleish

Gosport: Jordan, Sanders, Bird, Oastler, Wassmer, Brice (Wright 66), Dawson, Harding, Lee (Suraci 80), Bignall & Carmichael. Subs not used: Lea, Masterton & Martin.

Referee: Elliott Kaye
Attendance: 670

Updated 08:35 - 7 Mar 2017 by Site Manager

Where next?

New date for Russell Cotes Cup semi-final The postponed Russell Cotes Cup semi-final against AFC Portchester has been arranged for Tuesday evening.
Gosport humiliated in Hemel hammering Boro' finally sank into relegation zone after suffering 6-0 thrashing by The Tudors on a dark day for everyone at the Aerial Direct Stadium.

Tue 3 Jul
Friendly 19:45
Wed 11 Jul
First team Royal Navy
Friendly 19:30

News sponsors


Club sponsors